July 23, 2011

Two beautiful births

Within a week and a half, two of my girls had their babies. I have another girl due this week so my phone doesn't leave my side. I feel so privileged to have witnessed the births of these two beautiful baby girls: Oakley and Eva. And I love being a doula. It is the most rewarding job.

Oakley was born at Orem Community Hospital. Her mom desired and achieved a natural, unmedicated birth. I was by her side for seven hours of contractions, beginning at three minutes apart. Counter pressure on her knees, deep breathing, lots of ice, and constant encouragement helped her make it through. She was so strong and bravely faced each contraction. Her baby was even posterior, and the doctor turned her as she crowned. This mom is young and I was so proud of her for setting her mind to what she wanted out of her birth experience, and making it happen. When I returned home at 8:30 in the morning after pulling an all-nighter, my husband asked me if I still want to be a doula. My answer: of course!

Eva was born at American Fork Hospital. Her mom wanted a VBAC since her first birth was cesarean. She had the goal of making it to six centimeters before getting an epidural, and she totally did it. We walked outside (with her husband), slow danced, pushed on her back, put counter pressure on her knees, kept her constantly drinking, and had her labor on a birth ball. Her midwives were very supportive of letting her body labor at its own pace, and they told us their patients never have a cesarean for "failure to progress." When it was time to push, we had a mirror brought into the room. Eva was born after 35 minutes of pushing. I saw something amazing: her umbilical cord broke after she came out because it was so short (about a foot long). I didn't know cords could be that short! Noah's was at least a couple feet long. Incredible. The midwife had never seen a cord break like that either. And on a side note, only one in five VBACs in Utah are successful. I'm so glad we beat the odds.

Let's just say I am loving this. Both of my clients have told me they didn't think they would've been able to cope with labor if they wouldn't have had me there, and they have adamantly stated they will always have a doula at their births from now on.

My midwife, Rebecca Williams, wrote this to me in an email when I told her about my first birth experience as a doula:
If we keep making a difference, even one birth at a time...the world will be a better place.
Amen.