May 1, 2011

Becoming a Birth Doula

A couple years ago my first child was born. I had the kind of birth I thought everyone had — my water broke at home, we rushed to the hospital, the nurse gave me an IV and Pitocin to speed along labor, 12 hours later I was pushing, the doctor gave me an episiotomy and Kennedy was born. I was a proud, happy new mom and Kennedy was beautiful and healthy. There was only one thought that lingered in my mind in the months that followed. I had wanted to have an unmedicated birth but my dear husband and mom didn't know how to help me work with my labor and cope with the intense contractions. I wished someone would've been by my side who knew how to help me achieve my birth goals.

My sister-in-law Julie lives in London where health care varies greatly from that in the United States. Women meet with midwives instead of obstetricians unless their pregnancies are high risk. Water birth is common. Labor isn't something that is feared but embraced. She recommended that I watch The Business of Being Born. My husband was working late one night so I decided to do an online rental. What I learned and felt that night opened my eyes to a whole other world of childbirth. I began to feel empowered and educated. I wanted to learn more so I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I felt I had finally found what I was seeking with my daughter's birth: one free from interventions where I could completely trust my what my body was made to do.

A good friend and neighbor, Esther, spoke to me about my birth experience. She had her boy in a hospital unmedicated with a doula. She was the first person I knew who had a doula at her birth, and after hearing how she was helped and encouraged, I knew I would want one the next time around. Esther told me of her sister-in-law Rebecca who is a doula. We were introduced at the clubhouse pool one day, and I was invited to Rebecca's home for a childbirth education course. Turned out I was the person who came so we had a couple hours of one-on-one time to discuss birth options. I felt so comfortable with her. She made me feel validated and empowered and special. I knew that day that when I became pregnant again I wanted her to be my doula.

Fast forward 10 months. I'm in the middle of a fast, intense labor in my bathroom tub. Rebecca was right there in my face, holding my hand during contractions and breathing me through transition and pushing. She gave me strength and focus when I needed it most. I knew after Noah's birth that I wanted to be that same strength for other women.

I have begun my birth doula certification and love everything I'm learning. Birth is so personal and means something different to every woman. My goal is to help them have confidence in their body so they can have a calming, empowering, enriching birth experience. Women should feel comfortable and confident in the type of birth they choose to have. For a limited time, I will be attending births for free until I complete my certification. I am a member of DONA (Doulas of North America) International and uphold their standard of ethics. I feel like I've really found one of my great purposes in life.

No comments: